Playing with pyrography

Being a creative person I am always searching for new techniques that I can play about with and pyrography has been my latest hit. For my birthday I received a 'Pyro master kit' which immediately caught my attention. I'd never heard of this art before however upon pinteresting it I found a whole new world of design and beautiful results.

I started my journey by playing around with all the different nibs on pieces of scrap (but sanded) wood and also cork (which turned out to be a very effective medium!). After producing some crudely drawn snowflakes and reindeer (yes I am christmas obsessed) I decided it was time to take on my first project!!


I purchased some cheap but good quality wooden pieces that, to me, resembled coasters and then started drawing out some simple (but hopefully effective) designs that I later burnt in using the device. As you can tell the leaf shaped nib became a fast favourite of mine and featured in every space possible. I then went in with the finest nib and burnt continuous holes to fill in the shapes drawn. I found this to be the most effective way to fill in blank space using the nibs provided and gives the piece a really nice texture !!


This process did take a while but not an unreasonable amount of time and I really enjoyed the process. I later coated each in a layer of varnish to (hopefully) make them indestructible to spilt tea. Although the final pieces are simple, I am rather proud of my first pyrography products :)

I found burning words to be an impossible task and, after watching a few videos, it appears nibs which I do not possess may make the process a lot easier! If I keep up this hobby I may invest in some to expand my design options...
I produced another bird coaster with a little "18" hidden in the branches for part of my friend's birthday present and she loved it! The time that goes into handmade gifts means a lot so I highly recommend (I'm always touched if a friend makes me a gift as it feels extra special!)


Nonetheless, if you decide to give pyrography a go remember to do it in a well ventilated room!!
x
The final product!

Comments

Popular Posts